birding-aus

FW: Swifts and Needletails - Saturday 25 Feb

To: <>
Subject: FW: Swifts and Needletails - Saturday 25 Feb
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:32:03 +1100

Hello all,

On Saturday Deniliquin was the recipient of a great thunderstorm. Amazing cloud formations, beautiful colours, thunder, lightning, swifts and a needletail.

I popped my head out the door to have a look at the coming storm. While scanning the sky I noticed that circling above our house were two Fork-tailed Swifts and a White-throated Neddletail. I went inside for my binos’ and returned to make a more thorough scan of the sky. At first I counted three Swifts and the one Needletail still circling above our house, quite low down (approx 50m at a guess). With the passing over of a Peregrine Falcon the four birds disappeared out of sight. I continued to scan the sky, occasionally getting wet as the rain approached. At least 14 Swifts were visible in front of the storm. Only the one Needletail was observed.

Cheers

David Parker

Deniliquin, NSW