birding-aus

NSW Richmond Turf Farms (breeding King Quails and Red-backed Button-quai

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Richmond Turf Farms (breeding King Quails and Red-backed Button-quail) - 25th February 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:09:23 +1100

I had a good 2 hours this morning in the Richmond Turf Farms (approx. 55km NW of Sydney CBD). Again King Quail was the most numerous species with at least 7 seen and another heard. Amongst the seven individuals flushed were at least 5 very young birds about a third size of the adults and most appeared to be males so we should hopefully see even more King Quail in the Hawkesbury. Also seen was a single Red-backed Button-quail (I flushed a male bird which may have been sitting on a nest), 4 Brown (which have also bred) and only one Stubble Quail. There was no sign of the Red-chested Button-quails that I had seen on my previous 3 visits but they may also be nesting! The only quail calling during the time I was there was one King Quail with its “phew..phew..phew” just before I had flushed the 5 young birds.

Another good show from the same paddock as the above quails was a beautiful adult Spotted Harrier (a bit early than usual for this regular wintering species for this part of Sydney). I also had a great view of a Peregrine, a female Swamp Harrier and several Singing Bushlarks (not many of the later as in previous visits).

A good mix of birds for just a couple of hours to spare!

Edwin Vella