birding-aus

NSW Hawkesbury Area - 19th February 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Hawkesbury Area - 19th February 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:09:03 +1100

This morning (19/2/06), Graham Turner, Stuart Pickering, Peter Marsh, Lorand Szucs and I had a good time “quailing”  in our favourite paddock at the corner of Cornwallis Rd and Cuppits Lane in the Richmond Turf Farms (approx. 55 km NW of Sydney CBD). Here we flushed at least 5 King Quail (4 males and a female), 4 Brown and 2 Stubble Quail, a female Red-chested Button-quail and a Buff-banded Rail (the later we were almost on top of). The smaller King Quail was the most numerous out of the 4 species that were flushed. We could not find any Red-backed Button-quails on this occasion which were seen by other birdos on previous weekends. Also flying over was a Swamp Harrier, a Rainbow Bee-eater or two, a Darter, a flock of 50 Little Black Cormorants and about 40 White-throated Needletails amongst the Welcome Swallows and Fairy Martins (the Needletails were seen flying quite low at times). The Singing Bushlarks were also showing well and a few young Golden-headed Cisticolas were being fed by their parents.

Peter and I also briefly visited Bushell’s Lagoon which is almost completely dried up. There were no ducks as a result but lots of Masked Lapwings and 22 Pacific Golden Plovers on the dried up mud. The lagoon just east of Bushell’s Lagoon had 61 Black-winged Stilts (which included some young birds).

Edwin Vella