birding-aus

Additions to the Australian List (long)

Subject: Additions to the Australian List (long)
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:24:46 +1100
Recently I requested information on an article that appeared in Wingspan
regarding the potential new species for the Australian list. I have now
tracked that down and was interested in comparing that to the new species
that have been found. The article was titled ?The greatest game of all? and
was written by David Andrew. Various experts were asked to nominate the
species that were most likely to be added to the Australian list. The list
was interesting and proved to be incorrect because the Savanna Nightjar was
added to the list before it could even be published (and featured on the
page opposite the article). Mike Carter?s recently listing of the potential
species that will be added to the Australian list in the ?new? Christidis
and Boles? (C&B) lead me to go through the tow lists and see how they
matched up. The summary results are as follows, with the full lists
afterwards.

Of the ten species listed as most likely to occur:
Only one (Brown Shrike #3) may be added to the Australian List, and it was
already on the Supplementary List in C&B
One other (Japanese Sparrowhawk #6) is listed as a possible addition (yet to
be assessed by BARC?)
Two other species (Eurasian Curlew #4, Temminck?s Sandpiper #7) were already
on the Supplementary List and I assume will stay there.
One other (Long-billed Dowitcher #5) was also on the Supplementary List but
may be removed altogether.

An additional 42 species (the article said 45 but only 44 were listed and
Temminck?s Stint and Semipalmated Sandpiper were listed twice) were listed
as ?also-rans? or species that had potential. Of this list:
Five species (Little Grebe, Jouanin?s Petrel, Swinhoe?s Storm-petrel,
Short-billed Dowitcher, Blue Rock Thrush) listed may be added to the
Australian List.
Four species (Atlantic Petrel, American Golden Plover, Green Sandpiper,
Petchora Pipit, Singing Starling) listed may be added to the Australian List
from the Supplementary List.
Four species (Purple Heron, Chinese Goshawk, Middendorff?s
Grasshopper-warbler, Asian Brown Flycatcher) listed may be added to the
Supplementary List.
Four species (Bristle-thighed Curlew, Western Sandpiper, Common
Paradise-kingfisher, Grey?s Grasshopper-warbler) were already on the
Supplementary List and I assume will stay there.
One species (Pacific Swallow) has been claimed for Australia (see recent
e-mails) and has been listed by Schodde & Mason as occurring in Australia.
It would at least be remain on the Supplementary List.

This leaves 21 species that are likely to be added to the Australian List
that were not predicted (including two even I have seen). There are another
18 species that are possible additions (at least to the Supplementary List)
that weren?t predicted and 7 that may be added to the Australian List (from
the Supplementary List) ? maybe.

I am not making any judgments on the expertise of the panel, trying to
predict a vagrant species is going to be hit and miss, but I thought the
results were interesting. It won?t surprise me that in another ten years, a
considerable number more of the predicted species are listed.

Cheers,
Peter
(I didn?t check Scientific Names, so if two species were listed under
different common names they may have been missed).

Here are the species listed as the ten most likely to occur
Blue-tailed Bee-eater
Cory?s Shearwater
Brown Shrike
Eurasian Curlew
Long-billed Dowitcher
Japanese Sparrowhawk
Temminck?s Stint
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Yellow-eyed Penguin

Other species listed as ?also-rans?
Little Grebe
Atlantic Petrel
Stejneger?s Petrel
Jouanin?s Petrel
Swinhoe?s Storm-petrel
Purple Heron
Eaton?s Pintail
Eurasian Wigeon
Blue-winged Teal
Black-winged Kite
Grey-headed Goshawk
Chinese Goshawk
Bonelli?s Eagle
Short-toed Eagle
Grey-faced Buzzard
American Golden Plover
Malaysian Plover
Bristle-thighed Curlew
Greater Yellowlegs
Green Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Spoon-billed Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Black-fronted Tern
Grey-backed Tern
Pink-spotted Fruit-dove
Pink-headed Imperial-pigeon
Moustached Tree-swift
Common Paradise-kingfisher
Mugimaki Flycatcher
Pacific Swallow
Grey?s Grasshopper-warbler
Middendorff?s Grasshopper-warbler
Grey-streaked Flycatcher
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Japanese Bush-warbler
Eye-browed Thrush
Blue Rock Thrush
Petchora Pipit
Chestnut-cheeked Starling
Singing Starling

Here are the lists that Mike Carter provided to Birding-Aus that I based
this list on.

Additions to the ?Species List? (26)
Spotted Whistling Duck
Little Grebe
Jouanin?s Petrel
Newell?s Shearwater
Swinhoe?s Storm-Petrel
Tristram?s Storm-Petrel
Schrenck?s Bittern
Cinnamon Bittern
Oriental Honey-Buzzard
South Island Pied Oystercatcher
Short-billed Dowitcher
Common Gull
Orange-bellied Fruit-Dove
Asian Koel
Grey Nightjar
Papuan Spine-tailed Swift
Common Kingfisher
Pale-headed Munia
Red-capped Flowerpecker
Asian House Martin
Blue Rock Thrush
Isabelline Wheatear
Narcissus Flycatcher
Blue and White Flycatcher
Purple-backed Starling
Rosy Starling

Additions to the ?Species List? elevated from the ?Supplementary List? (13)
Green Junglefowl
Helmeted Guineafowl
Atlantic Petrel
Laysan Albatross
Grey Heron
Weka (extinct on Macquarie Island)
Green Sandpiper
American Golden Plover
Lesser Black-backed Gull
House Crow
Brown Shrike
Pechora Pipit
Singing Starling

Additions to the ?Supplementary List? (25)
Species that are the subject of claims that may be genuine. Several have yet
to be assessed by BARC. Some have been reported in publications (23).
Collared Petrel
Purple Heron
Chinese/Javan Pond Heron
Western Reef Egret
Japanese Sparrowhawk
Chinese Goshawk
Eurasian Hobby
Kerguelen Tern
Orange-fronted Fruit-Dove
Red Collared Dove
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Large Hawk Cuckoo
Lesser Coucal
Edible-nest Swiftlet
Brown-backed Needletail
Silver-rumped Needletail
Black-capped Kingfisher
Chestnut-breasted Kookaburra
Island Monarch
Tiger Shrike
Black-billed Magpie
Middendorff?s Grasshopper Warbler
Northern Wheatear
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Streaked-headed (White-spotted) Mannikin

Species that might be removed from the ?Supplementary List? (3+)
Long-billed Dowitcher (proved to be a Short-billed Dowitcher).
Cox?s Sandpiper (proved to be a hybrid).
Tawny Pipit (see Johnstone & Storr, WA Birds, vol. 2),