birding-aus

Slender-billed Thornbill, Olary, NE South Australia

To: "Alistair Stewart" <>, <>
Subject: Slender-billed Thornbill, Olary, NE South Australia
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:53:30 +1030
Hi Alistair
Not sure what sort of response you've had. We've had reports of SBT at Gluepot which are usually met with a degree of scepticism. The habitat is not quite right, but there are bluebush plainst too. If they're not properly documented we don't add them to the list. They are of course in the more heathy habitat of Ngarkat & surroundings, as well as the coastal areas. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were present, in low numbers, or perhaps only during better conditions, in the type of habitat in the areas you describe. It's just that as with most birds, people tend to go to the known spots if they want to see them, and there are simply not enough people searching other potentially suitable areas.
We've had a Western Gerygone undertaking a breeding attempt near Berri this year - closest records are over 150 KM east in Vic - similar sort of thing.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia