birding-aus

Spare binos?

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Spare binos?
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:25:20 +1000
Hi All,

We have recently returned from a birding trip to Uganda.  Uganda is a country that recognizes that it's wildlife is a drawcard for many tourists and a means to provide income and jobs for it's people.
However, it's a very poor country with most of it's people living in poverty.

The birding was excellent (we saw nearly 600 bird species and lots of mammals including Chimpanzee, Gorilla and Leopard) and we met many of the Ugandan Wildlife Authority rangers who impressed us with their commitment and their desire to preserve their natural heritage and share their knowledge.

One of the guides, Samson from Semuliki National Park mentioned to us, that he dearly wanted to learn more about the birds and becoming more skilled in bird ID, but that each Wildlife office was provided with only one
set of binos, which the guides could only use when they took tourists on a bird walk but not privately to improve their skills away from work.

Young people like Samson, wouldn't have any chance of ever being able to afford such an item and so we thought it might be a good idea to ask if any Birding-Aus readers happened to have a old, unused pair around that they would be prepared to sacrifice and have us forward on to him.

We've created a new gallery of images under http://www.aviceda.org/gallery  It's not finished but there are plenty
of pics to view. A trip-report is in the pipeline!

Please send any response to us directly.

Thanks
Marie & Tom Tarrant

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant