birding-aus

Red-backed Button-quail at Cornwallis Road, Richmond, Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Red-backed Button-quail at Cornwallis Road, Richmond, Sydney
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:07:47 +1100

Today I visited Cuppitt’s Lane off Cornwallis Road, Richmond walking through the weedy fields looking for quail. The first bird I flushed was a stunning female Red-backed Button-quail complete with yellow bill, red back, intense red underparts with spots on the flanks and chest and golden leading edge to the wing coverts. A spectacular bird. She gave an excellent close flight view in the bins before she dived into chest high paspalum. I flogged around for a further hour and a half flushing three Stubble Quail and a Brown Quail and heard King Quail very close but no more re-sightings of the button-quail. A few times I could see the grass moving quail like in front of me but nothing flushed. There are numerous Singing Bushlarks, Golden-headed Cisticola and some Chestnut-breasted Mannikins. This follows up on sightings of Red-chested Button-quail in the same site so it is in excellent quail condition.

Spent a short time at Pitt Town Lagoon seeing two Baillon’s Crakes, heard Spotless and had a great view of a juvenile female Collared Sparrowhawk.

All the best

Dion