birding-aus

Long-tailed Cuckoo Call & Other NZ questions

To: <>
Subject: Long-tailed Cuckoo Call & Other NZ questions
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:24:38 +1100
Further to Peter's query (below), I am also freshly back from NZ (North
Island) and am compiling a report (which will arrive in the next few days).
I'd too would be interested in locating a recording of the cuckoo's call - I
heard several birds calling in Pureora Forest Park at several locations, but
couldn't get one to show.  What I heard sounded (to me) like the "zzwheesht"
described in Heather & Robertson (H&R), but the volume of the call didn't
strike me as a "shriek".

Also, whilst at Rotorua, I saw some small white terns over the lake, fishing
in the manner that I had been seen White Fronted Terns do all around the
coast (hovering in a group over schooling fish and individuals plunge
diving), which is waht I assumed they were. H&R notes that they are rarely
seen inland - Rotorua is not that far inland, so would an NZ experienced
person care to comment.  (They were a fair way out and I didn't have my
binoculars on me as I was strolling back to the car in twilight after dinner
and was also concentrating on preventing my 5 year old doing a header into
the lake!)

Cheers
Tom Wilson