birding-aus

Maleny,SEQ sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Maleny,SEQ sightings
From: "Dam Lamb" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:32:54 +1000
Lots of action yesterday morning from our verandah amongst the mist and the rain.A family of Pacific Bazas including at least one juvenile, possibly three,kept up a constant chatter between themselves as they foraged through wet euc. branches.A Pheasant Coucal was yelling from tall grass only metres away, drowning out the Brown Cuckoo-doves calling from the other side.Variegated Wren, White-browed Scrubwren and Red-browed Firetails added their voices to the din from the undergrowth.
  But the highlight was observing a female White-eared Monarch flitting about and through the lilypillies in the small creek beside the house.First attracted by the call I watched the monarch feeding in the upper canopy, then resting and calling loudly from the top of a tree.I don't often see them here (and only during Dec/Jan) so it's always a treat. Hopeing the Sooty Owl reappears in March as in recent years.

Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ