birding-aus

Wildlifing Update: New Zealand- Milford Sound

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing Update: New Zealand- Milford Sound
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:22:01 +1100
Hello all,

I've put up the latest New Zealand update to my website (www.wildlifing.com). This part covers the Milford Sound part of my trip. The highlight was probably the spectacular scenery but I also saw some interesting birds such as the Rifleman, the Fiordland Crested Penguin and a brd I was particularly interested in seeing, the Rockwren.

The penguins were seen by going on a Mitre Peak cruise through the sound. I went on the last cruise of the day which was a cheaper ticket than those in the middle of the day when the majority of the tourists do the cruises. The sky was clear (pretty rare I was told) and the light was beautiful.

The Rockwrens allowed me to spend a couple of hours on 2 consecutive days watching them at Homer Tunnel. I managed to find a nest beneath a rock and thick "rock garden" vegetation. The parents brought an unbelievable number of insects to the nest while the sun was shining. The alpine vegetation was alive with all manner of bugs, butterflies and flying insects.

Cheers

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Zealand (Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass, Otago Peninsula)