birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Rarity (1)

To: "Paul McDonald" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Rarity (1)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:20:18 +1100
Maarten Hulzebosch found a single Long-toed Stint at Werribee today (a tick for me - lucky that I turned up when I did!) The bird wasn't moving much and was partially hidden for most of the time we watched it. For a minute or two it obligingly sat in front of a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - a bit like big brother and little brother. Fantastic for comparison. It was more or less in the middle of 35E pond 8, on a strip of mud with some vegetation - I think the 3 LT Stints seen last week were on pond 9. Today 9 was full of water - the only mud area was being dredged, or at least that what it looked like. There was a large scoop digging mud out of one corner of the pond.

There were half a dozen Red Knots on 35E-8, and a few Freckled Duck and 20 Cape Barren Geese at Paradise Road.

Neither Maarten nor others we spoke to had seen any sign of Phalaropes, Pratincoles, or Broad-billed Sandpiper. Maarten had checked out Ryan's swamps but we hadn't heard anything about T- Section and Austin Road.

It's always great to meet up with other birders, especially people from Birding-Aus, and this added to a very pleasant day out. I also should mention the very efficient and helpful staff at Melbourne Water's Brooklyn office, where I had to make a quick detour to renew my permit.

Russell Woodford