birding-aus

North Queensland Trip - Part 3 of 3

Subject: North Queensland Trip - Part 3 of 3
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:09:41 +1100
TRIP REPORT ? NORTH QUEENSLAND

6 - 22 December 2005

Southern Atherton Tableland

We then moved to the southern end of the Atherton Tableland, staying at
Chambers' Lodge for three nights.  There were still a few Sarus Cranes with the
Brolgas around Bromfield Swamp and in a couple of other spots.
We went to the Crater at Hypipamee National Park, where Fred saw a Red Goshawk
fly over, but the rest of us missed it.  We saw many of the birds we had
previously seen on Mount Lewis here as well as Tooth-billed Bowerbird and
Victoria's Riflebird.

We visited several of the swamps in the area, Hastie's Swamp and
Nardello's Lagoon and saw lots of waterbirds, without seeing anything
exceptional.  We searched hard for Cotton Pygmy-Goose on Lake Tinaroo but
couldn't find any.

The Chambers' property itself had some good birds, including Spotted Catbird
and Grey-headed Robin.

On our final morning, we left early and headed for Cairns to try and find
Little Kingfisher at Centenary Lakes.  We failed, but we did see a White-browed
Crake.  We made a final visit to the Esplanade without adding to our list and
then headed home to Melbourne and Sydney for Christmas.

Mammals

We saw some good mammals, including Green Ringtail Possum, Musky
Rat-Kangaroo, Northern Nail-tailed and Agile Wallabies, Red-legged
Pademelon, Mareeba Rock Wallaby, Black and Spectacled Flying Foxes,
White-tailed Rat, Delicate Mouse, Bush Rat and Dingo.

Conclusion

As well as from Klaus, we got assistance from a number of people,
including Keith and Lindsay Fisher at Kingfisher Park and Alan Gillanders
of Alan's Wildlife Tours in Yungaburra.  We were also able to catch up
with old friends in Del Richards and Lloyd Nielson, with whom we have
birded previously.

So, we concluded we had a great trip with 290 species of birds observed, a
good look at some wonderful country, good company and mostly excellent
food, wine and accommodation.  What more could you ask for (except more
time up there!!).

Regards

Chris