birding-aus

Wildlifing Update: New Zealand- Stewart Island

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing Update: New Zealand- Stewart Island
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:48:39 +1100
Hello all,

Latest New Zealand updates to my website (www.wildlifing.com) are up. They cover my time on Stewart Island and Ulva Island (to the south of the South Island). On Mason Bay I went on a guided walk to Mason Bay on the western side of Stewart Island, with Ruggedy Range Adventure Tours. Here we saw a couple of Southern Tokoeka (Kiwi) after a few hours of spotlighting (no photos). The adult bird (if thats the right word) was much bigger than the Little Spotted Kiwi that I had earlier seen on Kapiti Island. Their bill is quite long, hence the maori name "tokoeka", which translates as Weka with a Walking Stick! I also went on a spotlighting trip at Ocean Beach with Bravo Advennture Cruises and saw tokoeka here also.

While spotlighting at Mason Bay we had a mystery sound fly overhead which sounded a bit like recordings I've heard of winnowing snipe (winnowing being the noise that tail feathers make when snipe are in courtship flights). It was a quite unnatural eerie sound. This by the way is pretty unlikely- the Stewart Island Snipe being supposedly extinct.

I also took a water taxi over to Ulva Island, a small offshore island that has been de-mammaled (my word). Bird life was abundant here including Yellowhead, SI Saddleback, Brown Creeper, Robin, Kaka, Stewart Island Weka, Kakariki (Red-crowned and Yellow-crowned- inc. a nest). A definite must if you are visiting Stewart Island.

Cheers

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Zealand (Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass, Otago Peninsula)