birding-aus

Christmas Island Trip report part 1

To: <>
Subject: Christmas Island Trip report part 1
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:16:25 +1030

CHRISTMAS ISLAND

12/11/05 – 19/11/05

Participants: Peter Barrand (organiser), Rhonda Barrand, Alan Bottrell, Margaret Bottrell, Jock Bromell, Ros Bromell, Enid Pascoe, Ken Rix, Marilyn Rix, Tony Russell, Richard Walter, Ruth Walter.

Flights, accommodation and car hire were arranged by Lisa Preston of Christmas Island Travel Pty. Ltd. We flew from Perth via Learmonth and returned direct to Perth. We stayed at VQ3 Lodge, using the communal kitchen for some meals and also dining at various restaurants and taverns on the island. Rain, about a fortnight before our arrival, had triggered a Red Crab migration, causing the closure of several roads around the island. This resulted in our having to detour to reach some locations and slowed our journeys when crabs had to be cleared from the roads.

We thank David James, who met our flight and guided us to sites for Red-rumped Swallow, Asian House Martin and Asian Koel.

Birds observed:
Learmonth Airport.
Nankeen Kestrel. One bird perched in shade under Osprey nest on light tower.
Christmas Island.
Feral Chicken. Daily around settled areas. All domestic type – no birds resembling ancestral Red Junglefowl were observed.

Red-tailed Tropicbird. Daily. A group of 16-20 birds observed displaying at Rocky Point 14/11 and 3 large chicks at nests (also Rocky Point) 17/11.

White-tailed Tropicbird. Daily, usually observed between Smith Point and Rocky Point or from Margaret Knoll. Both golden and white morphs noted. One large young at nest in base of dead tree, Poon Saan Road on 13/11

Abbott’s Booby. Daily. Adults and large young at nest sites west of LB4 lookout. Five birds observed from Smith Point on 13/11.