birding-aus

RE: Sightings from Vic and southern NSW, including Ground Cuckooshrikes

Subject: RE: Sightings from Vic and southern NSW, including Ground Cuckooshrikes
From: "Pedionomus" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:57:27 +1100
Like Peter, I read with interest this report from Simon.

Firstly, because having been out at Oolambeyan on the 6-8 and then the 13-15 of December I missed Ground Cuckoo-shrike, having spent much time in both the areas during my visit where Simon picked them up. Good to hear!

Secondly, because I can't believe the comment "but an earlier recce did not find any suitable habitat"!

All I could do was picture Simon's eyes as he drove out the following morning in the direction he did (before leaving the park) passing hectares of perfect, absolutely smacker Plains-wanderer habitat, and Simon saying "if only"!!

Peter in his reply to Simon's email puts it very bluntly that visitors should before visiting the park contact the Griffith NPWS office. Though appearing to be all "government official and all", a simple call to the office would I'm sure be very useful to any person visiting Oolambeyan.

Firstly one would find out that overnight accomodation is currently not available at the park, but that day visitors are most welcome. Secondly, one would be able to find out where the boundaries of the park are, as crossing into private property can be easy to the unfamiliar. And thirdly, because the Ranger would have provided useful information about what has been seen at the park recently and where things may be found.

Though I can't speak for the service, I would feel that the staff at Griffith would have been more than accommodating in providing information on where, while spotlighting on the park, you may have had a good chance on seeing a Plains-wanderer.

For anyone wanting to see a Plains-wanderer I can highly recommend one of Phil Mahers tours. No-one knows the region like Phil and the night is always one to remember! However, if people are more interested in searching for themselves then a little bit of communication with the local Parks office in either NSW - Griffith (for Oolambeyan) or Vic - Kerang? (for the Terricks) would prove useful. I know a number of people have also participated/tagged along during the monitoring of Plains-wanderers in both Victoria and NSW. An experience in itself!

Cheers
David Parker
Deniliquin, NSW -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.birding-aus.org birding-aus.blogspot.com -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message: 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to