birding-aus

A New Bird for me @ Mount Isa + Oriental Pratincoles

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A New Bird for me @ Mount Isa + Oriental Pratincoles
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:50:58 +1000
G'day all,

Yesterday afternoon I went for a quick visit to our Lake Moondarra.
I visited my favourite location Wide Bay

The range of Waders was miserable, 1000+ Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, a few Marsh Sandpipers and an unidentified Stint.
But amongst the huge rafts of waterfowl were a dozen pair of the beautiful Green-pygmy Goose & a dozen Freckled Duck

On the adjacent grasses were 100s of Australian Pratincoles, and several Oriental Plover

BUT, in the distant a pair of birds that appeared to have crests puzzled me. When I got closer, I was able to pick up the indistinct breast bands of Banded Lapwings.
 Earlier resident Mount Isans had recorded this bird, but until yesterday it had escaped me. The nearest I have seen these birds was 170 km SW of Mount Isa, near the NT border at Urandangie,

A bit further on around the 4 km shores of this bay I started recording dozens of Oriental Pratincoles
They have been turning up late November each year and were first reported this year by Stephen Keen
I was able to get some reasonable pix. My first record of this bird was Christmas day 2001

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.
See www.birdsqueensland.org.au/ for Gazetteer of Birding places.. that includes Wide Bay