birding-aus

christmas tick

Subject: christmas tick
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 04:27:42 EST
hi all
been a while since i've posted - or twitched for that matter.
my wife and i just spent a wonderful few days up near queen mary falls in the border ranges between killarney and boonah (SE Qld).
we spent two misty mornings staking out albert's lyrebirds along the falls road through the beautiful carabeen nature refuge (a private holding). they are seen regularly there by locals scooting across the road in the early mornings. we heard a few calling from the deep hollow but saw none.
i was rewarded with a tick of a different kind - a russet-tailed thrush. i was alerted by the unusual call (i thought it was a fledgling at first) and then the colouring of the bird as it hopped around me.
i've seen plenty of bassian thrushes up close and never thought i'd be able to pick a russet-tailed one but this was a different bird.
it's a great spot.

others of interest seen up there:
black-faced monarch
wonga pigeons
white-headed pigeons
brown pigeons
common bronzewings
YTBCs
many satin bowerbirds
red-browed treecreepers (QM falls)
brush cuckoo (ditto + chick nearby being fed by yellow-throated scrubwrens)
pacific baza (ditto)
white-naped HEs (Brown's falls)

poss red goshawk from spring creek cottages (way across the gorge, too far away)

reptiles
cunningham's skinks
land mullets
many water dragons