birding-aus

Currawongs and Chennel Bill Cuckoo Chicks

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Currawongs and Chennel Bill Cuckoo Chicks
From: "Nevil Lazarus" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:51:02 +1100
This morning I noticed, 100 mt from my home in Greenwich, Sydney, I have a
nest with 3 Channel Bill Cuckoo chicks.
Last week in the Warriewood wetlands on Sydneys Northern Beaches, I found
the same phenomenon - 3 large chicks with the foster parents depleting the
ready source of cicadas - actively donating them to the bleating recipients.

Is this a normal occurrence?
Does the same egg donor deposit 3 eggs or could there be multiple donors?
Is it unusual that there is no fratricide in the nest, and that they all
survive?

Best wishes,

Nevil Lazarus
PO Box 5087