birding-aus

Trip Report Stockton Sandspit and Ash Island Reserve

To: "Janene Luff" <>
Subject: Trip Report Stockton Sandspit and Ash Island Reserve
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:15:47 +1100
STOCKTON & ASH ISLAND

On Saturday 17 December 2005 I led a party of birders from "Follow That Bird Tours" to the Hunter Region to see what the birding "hotspots" of Stockton and Ash Island had to offer. We had a perfect summers day, sunny, fine and the temp about 28 C. The tide was forecasted to be 1.85 m which is a good height and should ensure that there were plenty of waders at the Spit. We arrived at the Stockton Sandspit just as the tide was turning and although the Godwits and some of the Avocets had remained over at the Dykes on the southern side of the Hunter River, there were were plenty of waterbirds to see. By far the most numerous were 450+ Red-necked Avocets, c.250 Eastern Curlews and 120 Curlew Sandpipers. However also present were Red-capped Plovers, Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Black-winged Stilts and Red-necked Stints. Four Pied Oystercatchers made several passes over the Spit, Superb Fairy-wrens, Yellow Thornbills and Grey Fantails were active in the wattles, Silvereyes and Mangrove Gerygones were seen in the mangroves, and Little Egrets, Great Egret and White-faced Herons were feeding in the saltmarsh.

We had morning tea in the shade of the bridge and then walked around to Fern Bay where we could only locate 1 Tekek Sandpiper and 2 Grey-tailed Tattlers on the oyster lease posts. We then moved onto the Stockton wreck and other that pelicans and Little Black Cormorants, we drew a blank but managed to find 12 Golden Plovers roosting further along on the rocks. There were Yellow-rumped Thornbills, plenty of Figbirds, a Koel Cuckoo and a Whipbird along the River parklands at this point. We moved across to Stockton Beach for lunch, where from the shade of the pavilion, we were able to watch the Stockton Cricket team play Belmont on the Cricket Oval, the birds on Stockton Beach not being very exciting today although Common & Crested Terns were present. We returned to the Stockton sandspit after lunch, having given the falling tide, time to exposed the sand flats. First we checked out the Fern Bay oyster leases and this time we were not disappointed, finding a group of 19 Terek Sandpipers, 4 Whimbrels and more Tattlers. Back at the Sandspit, Bar-tailed Godwits & Golden Plovers had come to join the other waders feeding on the sandflats, while White-breasted Sea-eagles were seen over the Spit.

The higher than usual tide had meant that the saltmarshes of the Ash Island ponds were well covered in water and there were plenty of Egrets feeding on the fish, Great, Intermediate, Little and Cattle Egrets all being present with most in their breeding plumages so enabling comparisions to be made of the different colour combinations of legs, beak and the skin around the eye. Over 35 Greenshanks were present along with a large flock of Black-winged Stilts which were being harassed by Whistling Kites, Swamp Harriers and a beautiful adult Peregrine Falcon. The Peregrine gave wonderful views when perched on the power poles. Alas no Yellow Wagtails to be seen, but Pipits, Clamorous Reedwarblers and White-fronted Chats showed well. Eastern Curlews, White Ibis, Swan, Chestnut Teal and White-faced Herons were the main other waterbirds, while Welcome Swallows, Fairy Martins and White-breasted Woodswallows were present in large numbers and Kestrel and Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike were seen in the nearby paddocks.

Our birding at both sites was enhanced because of the work being currently undertaken by the Hunter Bird Observers Club in carrying out mangrove seedling removal in the saltmarshes of the Ash Islands Ponds in order to enhance the wader feeding habitat there, and at Stockton Sandspit, where under the leadershipo of Tom Clarke, mangrove seedling and Bitou Bush removal removal works continue so as to improve the bird habitats and keep the wader feeding grounds clear. Congrats to the HBOC for work well done.

Overall the participants for the day saw over 67 species at these two top birding spots and had a good time of christmas fun and fellowship. Happy Christmas everyone! We were ofcourse somewhat disappointed that not one searched the coach for baseball bats or tried to confiscate our telescopes deeming them to be weapons that could be used in the beach wars!! Alan Morris.