birding-aus

Bird Count Nth Vic

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Bird Count Nth Vic
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:36:39 +1100
G'day All,

Though a bit late in reporting, the Cohuna BOCA bird challenge team had a
great day out on Saturday 10th December. We had not been able to get out on
the normal weekend - one key member of the team had a 40th birthday on that
weekend! The team consisted of Betty Waterson, Norma Sheridan, Bob and Herta
Wheeler, Michael & Sharon O'Brien, Simon Starr, Dave Coons and Chris
Coleborn. We broke up into sub teams to cover our 40km radius of Cohuna in
Nth Vic and had a great day of it. Fine weather, warm with a light breeze
made it a dream to be out and about.

This year we were able to tally up 163 species for the day. There were some
notable sightings, probably one of the best (mentioned by Simon in an
earlier quick report) was a breeding pair of PAINTED HONEYEATERS. (The young
fledged a couple of days ago). There were also some good raptors, such as
SPOTTED HARRIER, PEREGRINE & BLACK FALCONS, WHITE-BREASTED SEA-EAGLES,
LITTLE EAGLE, COLLARED SPARROWHAWK, BROWN GOSHAWK and others common to the
area. The number of BLACK-SHOULDERED KITES, which earlier this year were
here in good numbers, were few on count day. A good range of ducks were
observed, including BLUE BILLED, MUSK, PINK-EARED, AUST SHOVELER, HARDHEAD,
CHESTNUT TEAL etc. It was also pleasing to pick up a few GREAT CRESTED
GREBES in full breeding plumage, as well as the more common HOARY-HEADED AND
AUST GREBES. Quite a few of the GREY TEAL & BLACK DUCK were breeding. There
were a good range of  waterbirds and waders seen too. GREAT & INTERMEDIATE
EGRETS in breeding plumage, SPOTTED & SPOTLESS CRAKES, a WOOD SANDPIPER, a
thousand or more SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPERS, a breeding pair of BROLGAS,
WHITE-WINGED BLACK TERN, AUST BITTERNS and a good range of others were seen. Good too to see the
GREY-CROWNED & CHESTNUT-CROWNED BABBLERS & BUSH-STONE CURLEWS hanging on in
the area. WHITE-BREASTED, WHITE-BROWED, MASKED AND BLACK FACED WOODSWALLOWS
are in the area, and breeding. It was also good to have some close up views
of WHITE-BACKED SWALLOWS. One bushbird that was a good sighting was a
FAN-TAILED CUCKOO. WHITE-BROWED SCRUBWRENS seem to becoming much more common
in the area - especially along the creeks, and also RED-BROWED FIRETAILS. We
enjoyed the specialties of the bushbirds of the areas such as SOUTHERN
WHITEFACE, HOODED, RED-CAPPED AND EASTERN YELLOW ROBINS. BLACK-CHINNED,
BROWN-HEADED & WHITE-FACED HONEYEATERS were enjoyable sightings as were
CRESTED SHRIKE-TITS, WESTERN GERYGONE & GILBERT'S WHISTLERS. A few
COCKATIELS & AUST RINGNECKS were among the parrots/lorikeets observed.While numbers were clearly down,
we yet picked up RAINBOW BEE-EATERS and also DOLLARBIRDS. Azure Kingfishers
were seen and of the nightbirds, good views of breeding TAWNY FROGMOUTHS &
BOOBOOK OWLS were had.

As happens, just a day or two later, BANDED LAPWINGS and a REEVE were seen -
pity we could not add them to the list! They do indicate though that at
present, birding in Nth Victoria is very enjoyable if one is prepared to
travel around and check out the diverse habitats of the area.

A full list of the birds seen is attached below.

Hope all have a safe and happy holiday time.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn

               SPECIES

     Emu