birding-aus

Painted Button-quail, Greensborough RS (Victoria)

Subject: Painted Button-quail, Greensborough RS (Victoria)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:30:29 +1100
An interesting record for the urban edge of Melbourne.

While travelling to Greensborough to visit the rellies on Sunday 11
December, my wife Kaye discovered a Painted Button-quail in the gully trap
beneath a water tap on the Greensborough Railway Station.

The station is adjacent to a well vegetated creek and sporting ovals which
had dog obedience classes just finishing, so maybe the bird had been
flushed from its home.

I last recorded an urban PBQ in the carpark at work in East Melbourne a
few years ago.  That animal was severely emaciated compared to this
healthy-looking individual.

We moved the frightened animal back to the refuge of creekline habitat
where it quickly vanished.

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne