birding-aus

Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] New Zealand trip

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] New Zealand trip
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:43:42 +1100
Hi all
there have been a couple of RFIs recently for trips to New Zealand. I will
add a further one, as I will be visiting the north Island in mid January for
2 weeks, travelling (roughly) Wellington, Napier, Cape Hicks (in Eastland),
Rotorua, Taupo, Auckland.  I have already got a copy of Heather and
Robertson and have been looking at the websites of Forest & Bird, Wrybill
Tours and others from the page link:
http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/panewzealand.htm.

This is a family holiday/sightseeing trip, not purely birding, so I am
trying not to set my sights too high as to what I can do (although I have
found a trip to Cape Kidnappers to see the gannet colony where we will be
transported via vintage tractor/trailer combination, which my kids though
sounded good.)  Also, it is not my first trip to NZ, although previous (work
related) forays have been limited to Wellington (esp Karori Sanctuary) and 1
trip across Cook Strait to Marlborough Sounds.

What is the protocol for RFI - should replies get posted to the list or
privately to the requestor?  I have seen no replies to either of the above
RFIs.  Personally, I have found browsing the archives for sites and
references very useful in the past, and I think it is one of the main
benefits of the list and the archives.

If Susan Knowles or Tim Jones (the previous requestors) have any useful
hints or information, I'd be pleased to hear them and share anything that I
get from elsewhere.
Thanks
Tom Wilson