birding-aus

Western Australia

To: <>
Subject: Western Australia
From: "David" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:34:35 +1100
Hello all,

My son, Nicholas, and I recently spent 15 days in Western Australia.  We did
allot of driving, 8000km, and visited Kalbarri National Park, Shark Bay (Monkey
Mia), Cape Range National Park, 80-Mile Beach in the Great Sandy Desert, and
the spectacular Karijini National Park.  This was a reptile photography trip
rather than a birding trip, but of course we encountered many interesting birds.

Some of the birds that were particularly interesting to me included the
following:

Black-breasted Buzzard -- 1 near Carnarvon and 1 near Karijini NP.
Oriental Plover -- north of 80-mile beach, Great Sandy Desert.
Little Buttonquail -- numerous at Cape Range NP
Spinifex Pigeon -- lovely race ferruginea at Cape Range NP and Karijini NP
Lesser Crested Tern -- Cape Range NP
Black-eared Cuckoo -- numerous at Cape Range NP
Western Thornbill -- Kalbarri NP
Redthroat -- Kalbarri NP
Grey-fronted Honeyeater -- Shothole Gorge (Exmouth), Karijini NP
Grey-fronted Honeyeater --  Shothole Gorge (Exmouth), Karijini NP
Chiming Wedgebill -- near Exmouth, Hamelin Pool (Shark Bay)
Thick-billed Grasswren -- Monkey Mia
Ground Cuckoo-shrike -- Karijini NP
Little Wood Swallow -- Shothole Gorge (Exmouth)
Western Bowerbird -- Karijini NP
Star Finch -- flock along a river near Karratha
Spinifexbird -- one in spinifex near Lakeside Camp, Camp Range NP

The reptiles were incredible.  This part of Australia has one of the greatest
diversities of reptiles in the world.  We found at least 73 species and briefly
glimpsed a number of others that we could not identify.  Highlights included
Desert and Pilbara Death Adder, all 3 species of Banded Snakes, Perentie,
Moloch and many others.  I have prepared and posted reports with photographs of
the habitats and reptiles on a herping listserver.

Here are links to a couple of the posts:

Karijini by day
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2334

Karijini by night
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2337