birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney 11 Dec 2005

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney 11 Dec 2005
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:57:45 +1100
Hi all
I paid an early morning visit to Warriewood Wetlands and Irrawong Reserve on
Sydney's northern beaches this morning (11 Dec 2005) from 6-8am.  Most
interesting sightings for me were a Swamp Harrier (good views of a primarily
brown bird with the white rump and the dihedral wings in flight), good
numbers of Sacred Kingfishers (1 trying to eat a cicada abut 1/2 its size),
lots of Channel Billed Cuckoos (including 2 very large chicks giving foster
parent Pied Currawong a busy time), several Rufous Fantails and Black Faced
Monarchs, great views of a very low down White Throated Warbler and a brief
views of  Buff Banded Rail and Tawny Grassbird.
In the patch of Cabbage Tree Palms in Irrawong Reserve, the Eastern
Whipbirds have gone arboreal - I spotted one in the vine tangle about 15
metres feet off the ground.
I was interested in the 2 CBC chicks - I thought that it would be 1 egg per
target nest but according to Pizzey, they can lay up to 5 eggs in a nest -
pity the poor foster parents if that happens
Cheers
Tom Wilson