birding-aus

seawatch

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: seawatch
From: "Stephen Keen" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:55:39 -0000
Beginning to wish I hadn't done it now, but there you go.
Have had some slightly more rational email discussions and I've been persuaded that I was wrong about the short-taileds. Am perfectly prepared to bow to superior local knowledge and learn from the process. I do however stand 100% by the pale phase Wedge-tailed.  A field guide which combines modern artistic abilities with good oldfashioned writing a la Pizzey and Doyle may have spared my blushes. Don't want all of Oz thinking I'm a tick-happy novice, though. Brush Cuckoo on day 2 was my 3000th species - and before some wag chips in, that doesn't include 2850 species of dodgy seabird ;-) and the list would be longer were I to include those horrible dodgy views such as the almost certain Spotted Nightjar flushed out west somewhere, the silhouetted flight views of a pair of Radjah Shelduck somewhere up north, etc etc. And Tom Tarrant will vouch for the fact that I flatly refused to tick Tawny Frogmouth on the basis of two fat-faced balls of fluff sat on a nest.
Then again I did count Stubble Quail even though we hadn't IDed it prior to pulling it out of the radiator grille (well, most of it).

All the best Australia. The jetlag is wearing off, I am back to my old mellow self and a full resume is imminent. Whether you believe any of it is a different matter entirely . . .

Steve