birding-aus

South African Trip Report

To: <>
Subject: South African Trip Report
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:58:25 +1100
Louise and I have recently returned from a very enjoyable and productive
birding trip to South Africa. We flew directly to Cape Town via Johannesburg
and spent a week around Cape Town, westwards along the coast and inland to the
dramatic desert of theTanqua Karoo. We then flew to Durban, rented a car and
drove west to the Drakensberg mountains, back east to the coast and the
Amatikulu and Mkuze Reserves and, finally, to the village of Wakkerstroom in
the high rolling veld and located about 3 hours drive east of Johannesburg.
We had previously birded in Botswana and Zimbabwe some 12 years ago, so not
everything that we would see in South Africa would be new. However, we managed
to see a total of 349 species, of which 169 were lifers. There were far too
many highlights to record here, but suffice to say that we would strongly
recommend a birding trip to South Africa. The scenery is spectacular, the
people are helpful and pleasant, food and accommodation were good, and the
birding is terrific.
There are a lot of South African trip reports around the web but, if anybody
would like a copy of mine on MSWord (be warned that it is quite long!), please
let me know and I will forward a copy.
Cheers
Roger McGovern