birding-aus

useful map product

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: useful map product
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:27:52 +1100

Just writing to tell everyone about a useful map product I have discovered.

Natmap Raster Premium is a product that costs about $120 and consists of two DVDs (PC only).

The main feature is a set of all the 1:250,000 maps of Australia, together with an index of place-names. So you can search for a place by name and find it on the map, or key in a GPS and have the cursor go straight to the spot. You can also move the cursor around and have it read off GPS co-ordinates. You can view the maps at various magnifications, and you can select views, export them and print them out as convenient, customised A4 sheets.

It also has other features I haven't investigated yet, like satellite images.

1:250,000 is a pretty large scale, so it's not suitable for surveys or altlassing, I shouldn't think. But is a highly convenient product to use to look up GPS readings, or place-names and view or print out map sheets.

It's available from Geoscience Australia (probably via their web-site), and presumably from map-shops.

--
John Leonard
Canberra