birding-aus

Danish greeting - Re: [BIRDING-AUS] RFI African Birding Tour companies

To: "Fiona Anderson" <>, <>
Subject: Danish greeting - Re: [BIRDING-AUS] RFI African Birding Tour companies
From: "Peter H. Them" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:52:13 +0100
Hi Fiona Anderson  ...

Greeting from the wet but lovely autum Denmark.

We are planning to do about a 16 day birding/nature tour of East Africa in May 2006. We have received a lot of information from many birding companies but have no further information about them other than their own advertised material. Can anyone recommend from personal experience a good and reliable company? Equally important are there any compnies that we perhaps should avoid?

I will recommend your to subscribe SABIRDNET (South African
Birding Network)  and from there received
the wanted informations.

The list-manager is Jenny Norman  in Durban,
South Africa http://lists.ukzn.ac.za/mailman/listinfo/sabirdnet

I received from SA-Birdnet a lot of informations and supports about
Namibia, where my wife Ebba and I had a great September 2005
trip with stopovers in South Africa.

Namibia is a beautiful and safe country to visit and the people are
very friendly - like Australia.

Everything worked out very well, and we did a lot of excellent good
birding, but also visited friends in South Africa, as the dane Holger
Jensen, Pretoria, who since 1980 had run the Jensen Safaris
www.jensensafaris.com and who also was our technical organizer
of our Namibia explore.

We had several times visited South Africa ( as well as other african
countries as ex. Kenya ), but it was our first time to explore Namibia,
and of course we couldn't do all of Namibia ... but we had a great and
fantastic taste of the people, culture and landscape, fauna and flora,
birds and other wildlife in Namibia ... !

Namibia is certainly one of the best place, mayby the best place to watch
the African wildlife, as it former was all over Africa ... - And we watched
many kind of birds, including our target species.

The Etosha National Park is fantastic ... !

Our Namibia route main destinations were: Windhoek - Waterberg
Plateau Park - Okaukeujo Camp, Etosha NP  - Ameib Ranch (Spitzkop)
- Swakopmund - Sossusvlei  - Windhoek, and then we flew back to JNB.

Indeed we were very fortunate to have seen more, that we could have
expected to see, and that was particularly satisfying for me. - We saw
most of wishes on our " wish-to-see list ".

By the time came to the end of our Namibia odyssey we realized that,
we had a very exciting and fruitful trip to this fantastic area of the
world, and we had explored and learn a lot about Namibia.

Namibia and South Africa are surely two of the world's top nature
birding and wildlife destinations, with a great diversity of habitats and
a high level of endemisn of flora and fauna, and not to forget the
easy-going people, great accommodations and good food incl.
excellent wine, and different kind of nature conditions make for a
great and wonderful as well as a special experience.

Yes, this visit provided us with a lot of good informations, not only on
birds and other wildlife, but also on the life in southern Africa, as the
people and culture, history and geografi, nature and wildlife, flora and
fauna.

We are very grateful to be able to made this pilgrimage to Namibia and
South Africa ... It was memorable tour with some wonderful memories
of the local people and the beautiful nature. The kindness and generosity
of the Namibian and South African people made us welcome whereever
we went in the southern Africa.

We are now trying to come back down to earth from such an incredible
and fantastic adventure.

Best wishes,

Peter