birding-aus

H5N1 in wild birds in Russia

Subject: H5N1 in wild birds in Russia
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:05:57 +1100
I've read that report: there are indications of the probability of
co-circulation in some areas which raises more questions than it answers.  It
seems most of the samples taken from wild birds were not processed effectively
in the majority of cases, leading to lack of sufficient data upon which to base
any sound conclusions about wild birds and their possible role in transmission
dynamics.  More information needed is the consensus in order to work out ideas
as to what happens in wild bird populations adjacent to and contemporaneous
with poultry.  Rather premature I know, but the impression I'm getting from
other sources is humans are pretty much now out to administer "stamping out"
procedures officially and unofficially, whether AI is present or not in some
stories.

Be a joke if the Australian vector turns out to be business-class travellers
from LA or similiar.  Oh well, who needs a sandpiper anyways: all those
migratory waders look the same.

Q: Hey!! look at that bird!  I've never seen anything like that before around
here.
A:(birdo) yes, if I'm not mistaken, that's a Curlew Sandpiper wearing what
appear's to be the skin of a cat and mewing near those blokes with shotguns...

Craig

>>> Andrew Taylor <> 11/11/05 4:48 PM >>>
I just came across a report on recent observations of H5N1 in Russia.
As I read it, in areas where H5N1 had been occurred they sampled (shot)
appparently healthy wild birds and tested them.  Species testing positive
include (their spelling);

little grebe
Pochard
teal
garganey
coot
nothern shovler
green sandpiper
sandpiper
oyster-catcher
black-winged stilt
white headed plover
Phalarope
laughing gull
herring gull
sparrow-hawk
buzzard
pied wagtail
starling
crow
rook

Does look to support the view that wild bird are the vector there.
The report is at:
http://www.oie.int/downld/Missions/2005/ReportRussia2005Final2.pdf

Andrew