birding-aus

Cocos Is birds

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cocos Is birds
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:53:00 +0630

We have been on Cocos for nearly 4 weeks now and have found a few waders and other species. Of most interest perhaps is a Black Bittern which seems to be a first for here, but has been seen 3 times on Christmas Is. A White-tailed Tropicbird is nesting on Home Island. Very few are found nesting on the inhabited atolls. There are at least 13 Barn Swallows. I've seen a White-breasted Waterhen in 3 separate localities. A few Yellow Wagtails are around.

Migratory waders seen are: Whimbrel, Turnstone, Common Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper and Oriental Pratincole.

Don Hadden

Residing on Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Don and Llane Hadden P O Box 7123
Lismore Heights
NSW 2480
AUSTRALIA
tel: +61 8 9162 6545
Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?

has notified the sender that this message has been received.