birding-aus

Painted Button-quail

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Painted Button-quail
From: "Janice England" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:23:21 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Last week while having morning tea with my U3A group at Mary Cairncross Park near Maleny, Qld., a Painted Button-quail was flushed out on to the lawn in full view of my group.  It crouched down on the lawn and allowed me to get quite close for some photographs before deciding that I was close enough and flew back across the road where I guess it had come from in the first place.  I was not sure what flushed it out but I suspect a couple walking nearby or even a brush turkey which are everywhere there at the  moment.
It was a pleasant change as usually you only get a flash of its rear end as they fly away from you.

The Park is a hive of activity at the moment with many birds nesting: Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Eastern Yellow Robin, Black-faced Monarch.  Its a great place.

Jan