birding-aus

sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Superb Fairywren with black wings

To: <>
Subject: sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Superb Fairywren with black wings
From: "Tania Ireton" <>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:04:40 +1100
BOCA had a trip to the Capertee Valley led by Carol Proberts on the weekend of
8-9 October.  On a walk to Happy Valley we saw a male Superb Fairy-wren in
breeding plumage with mostly black wings.  The black extended along the wings
from the body to the about two-thirds of the way to the end where the normal
grey-brown was present.  It was a stunning little bird.

Regards,
Tania

>>> Bob Wallace <> 1/11/05 22:44:00 >>>
On a recent trip to Barraba Northern NSW, we saw plenty of Superb
Fairywrens in breeding plumage but one particular male had black wings
instead of the normal grey-brown wings.  This was not a trick of the
light as we observed it for several minutes and managed to take a
digital photo and a video of it.
Does anyone if this occurs regularly or irregularly as I can find no
mention of it in the common field guides?

Bob Wallace