birding-aus

Radjah Shelduck pair still showing at Myall Lakes in NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Radjah Shelduck pair still showing at Myall Lakes in NSW
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:48:39 +1100

David Mitford called me yesterday to say that he saw the 2 Radjah Shelducks at the Mungo Brush Campsite in Myall Lakes NP (only 2.5 hours drive north of Sydney CBD) yesterday on Melbourne Cup Day (Tuesday 1st November). David said that hew saw the ducks within 10 minutes of arriving as they swam to the shore but after a little stay disappeared again (they just come and go!) The pair of ducks apparently took bread offered by the campers. It’s interesting how these birds have become tame while they have been at this location for several weeks (or even months?). Both ducks are un-banded. I wonder if these 2 birds will eventually breed and establish a population in NSW!

It reminds me of seeing a female Cotton Pygmy Goose in the Lane Cove NP in Sydney where that bird gradually became tame during its stay.

Edwin