birding-aus

RE: Foster Parenting vs Parenting

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>
Subject: RE: Foster Parenting vs Parenting
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:52:22 +1000
I guess I do assume quite a lot, but this male's call is VERY distinctive,
and he is the only male in this area.   Mostly, I recognize the males by
their call, their behaviours, their favourite perching places, and their
calling patterns.   During the period summer 1995-1998 I slept little, and
long nights of Koel calls made me familiar with them.   Each time the male
does not arrive back at the normal time, it is a new male who takes over the
territory.   In fact, one summer, I did not have a regular occupant in this
territory and could only hear calls from a long way off.   I am not aware of
there being more than one female at a time here either, though I have seen
multiple females in other sites early in the season.

Judging again on behaviour, I'd suggest there have been a minimum of 2
females, but probably at least three,  but I do not get to recognize these
as individuals so much as the males.   I suspect this female is here for the
first time as last year's female (probably her third season here)  used to
sit in the tree beside my deck making sweet little noises at me, whereas
this one stays clear of human contact.

You are right, the birds are not banded, and I certainly do not have DNA
proof, but I would consider the likelihood of  parentage being quite high
when these are the only Koels  to my knowledge at this location.

As for reasons for the behaviour,  I don't even make a suggestion.   I was
hoping for more information or examples.

Robyn

  _____