birding-aus

What (NT) snipe was that??

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: What (NT) snipe was that??
From: "Dam Lamb" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:31:31 +1100
Travelling back from Broome stayed o'night at Barkley Homestead on 8th October.In late arvo went for walk to three small water treatment ponds behind camping area, found single Common, Sharp-tailed and Curlew Sandpiper. In last pond found a Gallinago snipe working its way around muddy edge, probing mud as snipe do.Thinking this was a fair bit inland for any snipe, and immediately wondering whether it was Latham's or Swinhoe's went back to camper for telescope and field guide. Fortuitously my neighbour in campground was Stuart Pell, a fellow BQ member. In fading light we scoped the snipe and consulted field guides(S & D, Pizzey, Morecombe). None showed any of the three Gallinago extended to where we were (Barkley Homesead is approx 190 East of Tennant Creek, and 250 km West of Qld. border). The bird never fly or spread wings. Relying most on Morecombe we concluded (?guessed?) it was a Lathams based on the extent of (rufous) tail projecting beyond folded wings, an imprecise diagnostic we suspected, but the best we could do in the circumstances.

 On arriving home and checking recent Atlas I found the most westerly sightings of Latham's to be quite east of Mt Isa, possibly Longreach and ?Hughenden.There is no map distribution for Swinhoe's , but in the Uncommon & Vagrant Species section there are two records for the NT, one in or near Darwin and the other (18.133) somewhat NW of Tennant Creek. One Qld record (20.139) appears to be very close to Camooweal.

      So, what was it? To late, I know, unless someone is passing-by and it's still there. What was it most likely to have been, Latham's or Swinhoe's? Has anyone else seen Gallinago in this area recently or in past? Would be interested to hear views/opinions re this snipe.

Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ