birding-aus

Superb Parrots - Young

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Superb Parrots - Young
From: David Stowe Photography <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:06:52 +1100
Hi all
Just returned from shooting another wedding – this time in Young!(an hour or so Nth west of Yass in NSW)
6 Bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen kept me busy. I really must get a semi-automatic!
Anyway, all jokes aside, I was really excited to have numerous sightings of Superb Parrots along the roadsides near Booroowa, Young, and on the rod to Grenfell from Young. Highlight this morning was stopping to view a group of 5+ birds in a tree ahead, only to have another 5 fly into a tree right next to the car! I must have had at least 8 separate sightings over 2 1/2 days with each sighting containing more than 2 birds with the most being more than 10. I know the numbers are a bit sketchy but difficult to keep track as you are driving and they are flying through trees etc. Males are unmistakable even from a distance with such bright green plumage and long tails.
Such a gorgeous Parrot!

Cheers
Dave