birding-aus

Leaden Flycatcher in suburban Melbourne

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Leaden Flycatcher in suburban Melbourne
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:45:45 +1000
Hi all
There's a male Leaden Flycatcher in my suburban garden (Burwood, east of Melbourne). I couldn't believe it when I heard it when I was inside the house. It took a little while to find, but sure enough there it was. It's been here for at least an hour or two and I have had excellent views of it sitting out on a branch in the sun, quivering its tail and making lots of noise. It even caught a large fly while I was watching it. Its wings and tail almost have a dark purple-brown tinge in the sun, but its head is quite black
Cheers,
Merrilyn