birding-aus

Pennant Hills Park

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pennant Hills Park
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:45:42 +1000
Hello birders,

This time of year really is special. Amazing what one can see and hear on a Sunday afternoon's stroll in suburban bushland - Pennant Hills Park (being in Sydney's north-west). We followed Devlin's Creek from Day Road, Cheltenham, past Whale Rock at North Epping to Lane Cove River, below South Turramurra, and back.

Of special note, a male Variegated Wren (unusual in this area?), an Echidna shuffling and snuffling across the path at our feet, and then a great view across the creek into an opening in dense foliage, revealing THREE Powerful Owls :- One adult and two, white-headed juveniles! (Owls in the 'usual' area near Whale Rock).

So, the Echidna and several Eastern Water Dragons, and birdlist as follows:-

Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet
Australian King Parrot