birding-aus

BA VICGROUP PORT FAIRY PELAGIC 16 Ocober 2005

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: BA VICGROUP PORT FAIRY PELAGIC 16 Ocober 2005
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:34:49 +1000

OBSERVERS: Chris Lester (organiser), Rob Berry, Peter Crabtree, Gail D'Alton, Giles Daubeney, Clive Garland, Rosemary Lester, Grant Penrhyn, Charles Smith, Jenny Spry, David Stickney & Mike Carter (leader & report compiler).

WEATHER: Sunny with excellent visibility; mild. An E breeze of c.5 Kts freshened to c.15 Kts inshore & turned SE after 14.30.

SEA: Slight (~0.5 m), became moderate (> 1.0 m) inshore coming in, on a long-pitched low swell (1-2 m). Conditions were particularly comfortable beyond the shelf.

No one was seasick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 07.00 EST. Hundreds-of-thousands of Short-tailed Shearwaters with smaller numbers of prions and other species were feeding in offshore waters around the 60-70 fathom depth. Consequently we paused a number of times diverting our course and slowing from our travelling speed of 13 Knots as necessary to investigate these flocks and the more unusual birds with them enroute to pelagic waters. On reflection, we should have lingered longer with those flocks. We crossed the shelf break (100 fathoms) and continued shortly to our first berley stop arriving at 10.00 in 220 fathoms.  We stopped and berleyed with shark liver at each of three locations, 38º48.5'S 141º53.4'E, 38º52.3'S 141º48.8'E (600 fathoms) and 38º49.4'S 141º45.4'E, for between 35 and 60 minutes. Headed back in at 13.00 arriving at Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPC) at 15.10. Cruised the western & northern shores before making the final run back to Port Fairy where we docked at 16.30. This last leg was the least comfortable ride, the combination of spray and sun-glare making observation difficult.

MAMMALS:
Common Dolphin: One pod of 6 at 09.00 @ 38º 39.8?S 142º00.5?E.
Australian Fur Seal: 2/3 in inshore and offshore waters in addition to 100's on LJPI.

[TURTLE: One probable inshore]

BIRDS:  22 species beyond the river mouth indicated good diversity. There were vast numbers of feeding Short-tailed Shearwaters and good numbers of other species feeding, concentrated about the 60-fathom depth where the sounder indicated abundant food supplies. Birding highlights were a SOUTHERN FULMAR, an ARCTIC TERN and 2 N. Royal Albatrosses. A probable Blue Petrel was not confirmed. Unless noted otherwise, all listed below were in the pelagic zone, i.e. beyond the shelf break.

Common Diving Petrel: 1 close to boat offshore.

Southern Giant-Petrel: 1.
Giant-Petrel spp?: 1 offshore.

SOUTHERN FULMAR: 1 offshore, briefly but very close.

Cape Petrel: 9 (5). 1 inshore, 3 off & 5 pelagic.
Great-winged Petrel: 20 (10). 15 gouldi, 5 nominate race.
Fairy Prion: 500 (50). 140 inshore, 350 off & 10 pelagic

Short-tailed Shearwater: >500,000!!! Mainly offshore, but many inshore; 50 pelagic.

Fluttering Shearwater: 1 inshore.

Wandering Albatross: 7 (5). 1 offshore.  1 gibsoni; 6 exulans.

Nos. of each plumage stage were: 2/1, 1/2, 3/3 & 1/4.

N. ROYAL ALBATROSS: 2 ads.

Black-browed Albatross: nom. 8 (4). 1 inshore, 2 off & 5 pelagic. 3 ads, 5 sub-ads.

       Impavida 1 ad.
Shy Albatross (cauta): 150 (50). 10 inshore, 50 off, 90 pel. 140 ads. & 10 sub-ads.
Yellow-nosed Albatross: 7 (3). 5 pelagic, 2 offshore. 2 ads & 5 sub-ads.
Wilson?s Storm-Petrel: 10 (7). 1 offshore & 9 pelagic.

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 5 (1). 4 offshore & 1 pelagic.

Australasian Gannet: 21 (5), 10 inshore, 10 off & 1 pelagic.
Black-faced Cormorant: 1 on sea @ LJPI.
Arctic Jaeger: 1 ad.

Kelp Gull: 4 ads & 3 juvs on LJPI.
Silver Gull: 20 on LJPI.
Crested Tern: 15 (5). 5 inshore, 5 off & 5 pelagic.
ARCTIC TERN: 1 offshore.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930