birding-aus

An unusual double for Violet Town

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: An unusual double for Violet Town
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:44:56 +1000
Hi All,

This morning I was watching the Regent HE feeding in the leucoxylon again. I was pleased to see it as it was not seen at all yesterday, in spite of checking several times. Today it has been easily found all day.

I then noticed a tiny bird with a red head also feeding just a few feet away! I reckon that I would have got good odds against seeing a Regent HE and a Scarlet HE feeding in the same tree at the same time anywhere! This afternoon I saw what I believe was a different juvenile male Scarlet HE three more times but I did not see two at the same time so that might be just wishful thinking.

The following species have been recorded in the lemon-scented gum since Oct 3 when the Regent arrived:
Purple-crowned Lorikeet      -  every day(17)
Little Lorikeet                     - 13 days
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo    - 2 days
Crimson Rosella                    - every day
Laughing Kookaburra             - once
Grey  Fantail                         - 2 days
Willy Wagtail                        - 1 day
Restless Flycatcher              - 2 days
Rufous Whistler                    - 3 days
Golden Whistler                    - 2 days
Weebill                                - 1 day
Brown Thornbill                     - 2 days
Yellow-rumped Thornbill        - 1 day
White-browed Scrubwhen      - 1 day
Superb Fairy-wren                - 4 days
Spotted Pardalote                - every day
Silvereye                             - 12 days
Striated Pardalote                - every day
White-naped Honeyeater      - every day
Brown-headed Honeyeater     - every day
Regent Honeyeater             - 15 days
Fuscous Honeyeater          - 5 days
White-plumed Honeyeater   - every day
New Holland Honeyeater    - every day
Red Wattlebird                  - every day
Noisy Friabird                   - 7 days
Little friarbird                    -2 days
Olive-backed Oriole           - 5 days
Pied Currawong                - 1 day
Magpie                            - 10 days
House Sparrow                - every day

Barry