birding-aus

RFI: Red-Backed Button Quail

Subject: RFI: Red-Backed Button Quail
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:26:07 +1000
Hi Nathan
If you receive any info regarding some of the birds below - can you
share with me too please???

I've added some info - see below, where I can, but some of these birds
are really difficult and regardless of the maps in the bird books are
not as common as they may appear!!

If I can help with further info - try me, but I'll be out of contact for
most of next week - up at Inskip pt!

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:38:01 +0000,  said:
> Hi,
>
> Ill be heading up to south east Queensland in about a month
> and i was hoping for some info on sites for Red-backed Button
> Quail and Lewins rail. - these pop up here and there but I don't have any
> 'regular sites' for them so if you get any info that suggests otherwise - I
> would appreciate it too!
I'm assuming by SE Qld you mean east of the range and south of
Bundaberg??
> Any info on sites for the follwing birds would also be much
> appreciated.
> Reply direct to myself or the list.
>
> Black-breasted Button-Quail - easiest place = Inskip pt (on coast near
> Gympie, 160kms north of Brisbane) right at the tip in the bush on the left
> altho they inhabit the whole peninsula and are in other locations in SEQ too.
>
> Mangrove Honeyeater - Several locations - best probably Wynnum boardwalk at
> the north end of Wynnum, also possibly around the visitor's centre at
> Fisherman's Island which is close to north Wynnum.
>
> Wandering Tattler - Caloundra headland, north of Brisbane (about an hour's
> drive)also Hasting's Pt, about 1.5 hrs drive south of Brisbane in northern
> NSW - report of 3 there a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Frigatebirds - need to be way up on the reef for these! or just plain lucky
> if there is a storm around - sorry can't help you! I saw one off Stradbroke
> Is in 1981.....
>
> Roseate Tern - occasioanl vistitor to Bribie Island only (?) around Brisbane
> anyway. I, personally, haveen't seen any here or any recent reports. Maybe up
> the reef too?
>
> Lesser Crested Tern - there have been a couple hanging around Manly wader
> roost at the southern end of Moreton Bay for the last few months. Had them
> there myself 2 weeks ago - best on late afternoon high tide (coming in to
> sleep) or in windy conditions - otherwise I suspect they hang out in the bay
> and I don't know how long they will hang around down here (SEQ) for.
>
> Goulds Bronze Cuckoo - need to be much further north I believe. Haven't heard
> of this being seen in SEQ.
>
> Oriental Cuckoo (?) - they turn up, but no regular spots that I am aware of.
> Lake Samsonvale and Tom Tarrant's 'turf' best possibility?
>
> Cotton Pygmy Goose - Lockyer valley - I hear they are almost resident near
> Bill Jolly's place in Abberton. Come closer to the coast and are more common
> in winter.
>
> Green Pygmy Goose (?) - very little chance in SEQ - closest has been north of
> Noosa and generally speaking I wouldn't expect them south of at least
> Bundaberg.
>
> Masked Owl - mmm, right!! If you hear anything for this one pls let ME know,
> please!!
>
> Barking Owl - ditto - usually a bird found much further west, well over the
> range.
>
> Red-chested Button Quail - pops up now and again, but don't bird with me if
> you want to see this one!! Button-quails are my bogey birds!! No regular
> spots that I am aware of - pls advise if anyone tells you differently!

> Any Good wader sites - check out the Birds Qld site,
http://www.birdsqueensland.org.au/
Bill Jolly's site
http://www.abberton.org.au
and Tom Tarrant's sites.
http://www.aviceda.org.au
The Birds Qld site, in particular, has a gazette of good birding places
and an 'uncontrolled' listing for 'rare, unusual species' which may give
you some indications as to where and what.Sorry I haven't been much
help, these species are well sought after in most cases and not easy!
Cheers
Colin R
0412 522 962

--