birding-aus

Re: Violet Town Regent update

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: Violet Town Regent update
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:13:42 +1000

 Hi Philip,

No calls were heard/recognised for the first 3 days, then a Noisy Friarbird call was heard however I did not see the Regent actually make the noise, nor did I see one that day. On Friday another Noisy call was heard and this time I saw a Noisy make the call. My conclusion is that the Regent might have made the call. The previous bird that was here on 17th March definitely made Noisy Fb calls.

Also on Friday I observed the Regent at the birdbath for a couple of minutes and it was making 'clucking' sounds or 'chatter' when it was preening/drying. It made similar calls yesterday while sitting in a white cedar, I think after a dip in a nearby garden pond.

It feeds for much of each day (starts early and finishes late), mostly in 3 branches high in the lemon-scented gum, only very occasionally in other branches and I have seen it feeding in the leucoxylon on 3 occasions. I have seen once it in an Ironbark which has some blossom but did not see it feed although I assume that it would have.

 It was last seen late today, the end of the 8th day of its visit.

 Barry
 Barry and Roberta McLean
 PO Box 66, Violet Town, Vic 3669
 03 57981213   0418584433