birding-aus

Spring Migrants

Subject: Spring Migrants
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 18:12:56 +1000
Had to travel back to Sydney to undertake the first of two weeks of surveys in the catchments behind Wollongong (specifically Avon, Nepean, and for Thursday/Friday Cataract and Cordeaux). This is the fifth year in a six year post fire survey. Having not been in the area before that week, the dates may have been earlier for these species, but the first sightings of spring migrants were as follows:
Black-faced Monarch Mon 3/10
White-throated Nightjar Mon 3/10
Leaden Flycatcher Tue 4/10
Olive-backed Oriole Tue 4/10
Sacred Kingfisher Wed 5/10
Channel-billed Cuckoo Thur 6/10 (though I was told the first record of this and Common Koel in Wollongong was on the 12/9) Lots of Fan-tailed & Shining Bronze Cuckoos, but no Pallids (we usually get most of them in Woronora) No records of Brush Cuckoo, Cicadabird or Rufous Fantail, though I didn't spend huge amounts of time in the right habitat. Other good species were Chestnut-rumped Hylacola, great views of a female Painted Button-quail and a single Beautiful Firetail. There appeared to be lots of flocks of Silvereyes moving through, which I hadn't noticed in previous years.
Cheers,
Peter