birding-aus

Chiltern trip report - Oct 05

To: <>, <>
Subject: Chiltern trip report - Oct 05
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:49:55 +1000
Further to Martin's trip, I had four days around Chiltern from 29th Sept until
2nd Oct.  It seems we must have passed in the night as a number of places he
mentioned I also visited.

My highlights were Lt Lorikeets and Crested Shrike-tits up behind Chiltern No 1
dam, Grey-crowned babblers, white-throated gerygones, both friarbirds and
Painted Button-quail north of Chiltern township.  But by far the best bird was
Barking Owl south of Chiltern, towards Mt Pilot.  A very obliging bird to just
sit around and call while we took several photos.

Like Martin, I also went north into NSW to Walbundrie and out to Morgan's
Lookout ( Mad Dog Morgan, the bushranger) where I picked up Peregrine Falcon
and Brown Goshawk.  Also went to The Rock NR and got Speckled Warblers and a
Lace Monitor.  Then onto Wagga and out to Lockhart to Galore Hill Scenic Res
where I finaaly caught up with Red-capped Robins, more speckled warblers,
peregrine falcons and the like.  I left on dusk to make the most of the driving
at night and looking out for frogs crossing the roads from one puddle to
another and I certainly wasn't disappointed seeing 6 species of frogs and the
"huge" Giant Pobblebonk - Limnodynastes interioris, almost as big a highlight
as the barking owl, being almost half the size of my hand.

A fantastic trip.

Regards

John Harris
Environmental Education Officer