birding-aus

Awaba Masked Owl F3 roadkill

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Awaba Masked Owl F3 roadkill
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:18:07 +1000
Hello all,

On 2nd October 2005 (Wests Tigers Grand Final Day), I was called by Alan Benson, who had seen what he thought was probably a roadkilled Masked Owl on the F3 Freeway between Ryhope and Cooranbong, just to the west of the Awaba Forest. This forest is important for Masked Owls in the Lake Macquarie area.

At first opportunity I rushed out to see if it was one of the owls that I had been watching and photographing only a few months previously. It was a pretty sad sight to see such a beautiful bird on the side of the freeway almost overlooked and passed over by heavy, long weekend traffic. It was probably hit the night before.

I've put photos of the unfortunate bird on my website (www.wildlifing.com). I suspect that many Masked Owls meet this fate, especially during periods of heavy traffic.

Other new photos I've put on the website include Spotted Quailthrush, Australian Magpie and Australian Darter.

Cheers

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Sooty Owl, Spotted Pardalote, equipment for sale