birding-aus

Spring in Upotipotpon

Subject: Spring in Upotipotpon
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 14:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Had our 100th species for the place last week, a Musk
Duck on our top dam. After serious searching, also
found a Sitella nest in a large Grey Box outside our
house, beautifully camouflaged as a knot in the tree.
Only spotted as a small retrousse bill was sticking
out of one end! Not bad for a former cropping paddock.
After two years, the fairy wrens have finally moved
in. Given that we had no understorey and have worked
hard to plant it around the house and garden paddock
we are extremely pleased! Our resident Grey-crowned
Babblers have also produced three young.

Incidentally. perhaps it was us being retentive, but
last night on Midsomer Murders did anyone else notice
the Simpson and Day being used in the bird hide to
spot goshawk in an English wood? We both recognised
the page open as that of the lyrebird and pittas!!

Deb and Ju