birding-aus

Red Wattlebird Flock

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Red Wattlebird Flock
From: George and Sophie <>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:59:53 +1000
We have a forested property at Yowrie on the N.S.W. south coast which
adjoins Wadbilliga National Park on which there is a honeyeater migration route which passes close to the house and at this time of year we have flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Red Wattlebirds ect. moving south through the property. They come from the direction of Mt. Wandella, across our property and into Wadbilliga N.P. Last June I recorded a flock of 56 Red Wattlebirds which was the largest flock I have seen in the eight years we have been there. However bigger and better things were to come!
  On the 5th of September this year my wife and I observed a much larger
flock of Red Wattlebirds passing through on this route.Coming from the
direction of  Mt. Wandella, they alighted in tall trees on the edge of
our property near the house and then had to cross a gap in the forest.
Fortunately this gave me the opportunity to count such a large flock. I
counted them singly up to 150, then, as their rate increased, I did
block count estimations of  10. This gave me an approx. total of  250
birds in this one flock which took no more than around a minute to pass
through.
       I am interested in finding out whether flocks of red wattlebirds
of this magnitude have been observed by anyone at any time elsewhere or
was this an unusual occurance?
                              George Guy