birding-aus

RFI Birds in WA

Subject: RFI Birds in WA
From: Jana Crooks <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:59:47 +0800

Hi everyone,

This is a very generalised request for info, albeit a slightly late one!

I have just flown over to WA (Broome - have been to BBO) to meet a friend, and we will be driving South and then East and North to eventually get back to Brisbane in about 3 months...

I will probably ask for more info later on in the trip, but for now I would be interested in peoples' recommendations for good birding and/or general natural history areas in WA.

We will mainly be heading South on the coast road, although we're probably going to make a detour into the Pilbara as well. We will be going right down to the South-western tip of WA. Also, since we aren't in a huge hurry, we are definitely happy to make detours for 'not-to-be-missed' areas.

I have been birding for about 2 years or so, and have never been to WA before, so am probably more interested in areas that are generally good for local birds, rather than making special trips to see one rarity - although we're into doing this if the place is reasonably accessible.

As I said, I know this is a very generalised request, but I'd be extremely grateful for any info that anyone feels inclined to give!!

Cheers,
Jana.