birding-aus

Koel

To: <>, "Colin Driscoll" <>
Subject: Koel
From: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:38:55 +1000
Colin (& others)

        Quote: "It's almost like Mike Tarburton
> in PNG sends the ones that need to travel the furthest first- so when are
> the Bolton Point ones scheduled to leave Mike?"

I sent the last CBC's four days ago so they should be somewhere in Central
Queensland by now.  Problem is I do not think that a very high percentage of
the population passes through the Port Moresby Savanna.  This means I might not
"control" your local birds.  However, because they do not live in the savanna,
every one we hear (or see) we can be fairly sure is on migration.  I think many
of them cross the Coral Sea just like the Sacred Kingfishers do - rather than
going to the Gulf and travelling down Cape York.  One of the Channel-billed
Cuckoos that went over was flying directly South so unless he readjusted
further down the coast he might have ended up in NZ.  My edition of NZ birds by
Falla Sibson & Turbott says only one had reached NZ - back in 1924 and it was
sighted at Invercargill at the lower end of the South Island - so at least one
could handle long trips over the ocean.

Hope they are safe wherever they are

Cheers

Mike