birding-aus

Pitt Town Lagoon, NSW - 18th September 2005 (and Channel-billed Cuckoos)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pitt Town Lagoon, NSW - 18th September 2005 (and Channel-billed Cuckoos)
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:53:43 +1000

I spent a couple of productive hours early this morning at Pitt Town Lagoon in the Hawkesbury (approx. 60 km NW of Sydney CBD) with a number of interesting sightings – a fairly obliging juv. Brown Goshawk; a juv. Swamp Harrier; 10 Brown Quail; 3 Australian and 4 Baillons Crakes; 53 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (mostly adults mouting out of breeding plumage); 2 juv./Imm Curlew Sandpipers (almost blended in well with the Shapies but they did not fool me); 50 Pied Stilts; a few Horsfield’s Bronze-cuckoos (one seen chasing another); Channel-billed Cuckoo; Rainbow Bee-eaters; Tree and Fairy Martins; a pair of Crested Shrike-tits in the small patch of planted Eucalypts nearby the lagoon); an Eastern Whipbird in the same area as the Crested Shrike-tits. These birds certainly can move about!); Reed Warblers, Nutmeg Mannikins as well as both Double-barred and Zebra Finches.

Also at home this morning heard another and my first Channel-billed Cuckoo this season for my area in Seven Hills (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD).

Edwin Vella